Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Authenticity and Truth: Playing Big with No Apologies

“To be nobody but yourself--in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else-- means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.”
- EE Cummings

In the past week or so I have been reflecting on the importance of authenticity, and what that looks like for me in my life. I think back to all the times that I “played small” in my life in order to make other people comfortable. I cringe when I think of all the times I didn’t speak up for myself for fear of rejection or criticism. I feel my stomach start to knot up when I think back to all the times I tried to hide who I was because I believed that the truth of who I was would not be acceptable to others in my life, or would somehow limit the success I could obtain. I extend my deepest compassion towards anyone who has experienced similar feelings.

Luckily, I have transcended many of my own limiting beliefs and moved through those paralyzing self-doubts which were based in fear and illusion. I wrapped my arms around those parts of me that believed I had to hide my truth from the world in order to find acceptance, love, and success, and I have done a lot of work to heal and transform any ideas of unworthiness. In embracing my own truth, and in vowing to be authentic with everyone in my life, I have come to realize that being authentic is the only way to find real acceptance, love, and success.

Being authentic, in my view, is an essential component of spiritual and personal growth. It is also directly related to our sense of self-worth. Our beliefs about worthiness, in turn, directly affect what shows up in our lives. As soon as we believe we are worthy of success, love, and happiness, that is exactly what begins showing up in our lives. When we come to realize the truth about ourselves, and truly contemplate our own divine nature, we are no longer satisfied with playing small…

We realize that in order to be like the Source from which we came, we have no choice but to play big with no apologies. And that requires complete authenticity.

What could you do to express more authenticity as you walk your unique path?
Namaste'

4 comments:

  1. That is a great post, well said, and exactly how I am feeling at the moment! I hope to increase my own sense of authenticity and self-worth because that is what is sorely needed in my own life right now. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you...I am amazed at the shifts that have taken place in my life as I have increased my personal sense of authenticity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello Alexis!!! I just came across your blog and found it really inspiring. several posts caught my attention, but this one is particularly relevant when it comes to the development of creativity, in which authenticity plays a key role. I'd like to feature it as the first guest post of my project "The Aquarian Eye" (http://theaquarianeye.blogspot.com). would you give me your permission? Namaste!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Thank you for your kind words. I would be honored to be your first guest post. :)

    ReplyDelete